Kanheri caves

Hey Friends,

I have been planning to write a blog on Kanheri caves since I visited the place few months back. These centuries old caves are located in the heart of Sanjay Gandhi National park situated 10 km from Borivali , Mumbai. These caves are one of the finest examples of the Indian rock cut architecture whose period of establishment is considered to be in between 1st century BC and 11th century AD.

The road to the caves itself is a visual treat with lush green forests on either side along with lakes and streams adding its beauty.

The distance from National park entrance to Kanheri caves was around 23 km. I would have preferred to go by walk exploring the scenic beauty of the place but due to lack of time , I had to head directly to the caves.

Though there are 109 caves in the whole area , most famous out of it is the chaitya griha which is believed to be used by the buddhist monks for meditation.

Entrance to Cave no: 3

Sculptures on the cave entrance

This history of Kanheri Caves is very ancient. The word “Kanheri” comes from the Sanskrit word Krishnagiri which means Black Mountain. It is believed that Buddhist Monks of the Hinayana Faith started the excavation of the Kanheri Caves from the hills in the 1st Century. Later on, the Buddhist Monks of the Mahayana Faith also contributed to this excavation process.

Chaitya griha (prayer hall)

Though I am not a person who is much interested in history, end of the day, I started admiring the historical carvings and sculptures and I can’t stop myself from praising the talent and hardwork put forth at that age where no machinery was available and carved with bare hands with minimal tools! Truly incredible!

After all these centuries, encountering all harsh weather conditions , these caves and the inscriptions and artworks still stand with all its pride and valour. Every Indian who visit these caves will surely feel a spark of pride being part of such a great culture.

Weekly photo challenge – Weathered

20 thoughts on “Kanheri caves

• Megha January 11, 2018 / 6:37 pm

It is.. I was also bit reluctant to go there first thinking that its like any other archaeological site.. but this place was absolutely stunning!

Liked by 1 person

• sonofabeach96 January 11, 2018 / 6:40 pm

I can tell. It always amazes me seeing the craftsmanship of ancient civilizations. Hard to imagine creating such structures and statues with minimal tools.

Liked by 1 person

• Megha January 11, 2018 / 6:44 pm

Exactly! That too with no facilities like proper road, transportation.. Hats off !

Liked by 1 person

1. inthelifeoffaithblog January 11, 2018 / 6:45 pm

I’m truly amazed by the entrance sculptures! I can’t imagine crafting something as beautiful as that. I’m so inspired.

Liked by 1 person

• Megha January 11, 2018 / 6:50 pm

There are a lot more inscriptions , paintings and sculptures there.. I posted here only quite a few! It was really an amazing experience.

Liked by 1 person

2. Laura January 13, 2018 / 7:22 am

Great photos and post! I love learning about other countries and cultures!😀

Liked by 1 person

• Megha January 13, 2018 / 7:24 am

Thank you 😊 Yea its quite excited to explore and gain knowledge rather to be in a shell ☺️

Liked by 1 person

3. d i l i p January 14, 2018 / 5:00 am

This post brings back many a beautiful memory! During my Mumbai days, I used to visit Kanheri Caves very often. It was an easy getaway from the chaos of the city. Nice write-up and snaps. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Megha January 14, 2018 / 11:17 am

Thank you 😊 I am happy you liked it. I was also dumbstruck when I saw this sort of a place in such a crowded city like Mumbai.

Liked by 1 person

• Megha March 27, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Do visit! Its really an awesome place. A jungle in the middle of a meteo city. Monsoon is the best time. You will get to see lot of greenery diring monsoons.

Liked by 1 person